Monday, May 17, 2010

Artisanal Food

I had a really hard time coming up with a website name for this blog considering just about any name I could come up with was already taken. I wanted something that defined me and my views on food. Artisanal Food to me is Good Food. Anything that took time and patience and started with quality ingredients, is handmade and did not spend time on a conveyor belt in a factory, to me, is considered artisanal. This is my kind of food. I love local, organic, homegrown food. I love to support the local farmers and try to buy most of my produce from within a 250 mile radius (especially during the summer months).

I like to cook seasonally too... I get really excited for asparagus since we don't cook it but during it's New England season of April-early June. I have been cooking asparagus at least twice a week for the past month, and have not tired of it yet! One of my favorite ways to eat asparagus is with a fried egg on top, with a little Parmesan and maybe some truffle oil if I'm feeling really crazy. You can eat this as an appetizer, side dish, light dinner, breakfast or lunch. It is simply amazing!

This is such a great combination of flavors, textures and colors. You have the crisp green asparagus, creamy orange (or yellow) yolk, sharpness from the parmesan and earthiness from the truffle oil. To me, a dish doesn't get better than this one!


Asparagus with Fried Egg

(feeds one- feel free to double, triple, etc.)

3-4 asparagus stalks (the thicker ones work best for this)- tough ends removed
1 egg (farm fresh and organic are the best for that beautiful orange color yolk)
Good Parmesan
Salt (kosher or a good salt like Maldon) and freshly ground pepper
Truffle oil (optional- but oh so good!)


In stovetop steamer, steam asparagus, sprinkled with a little salt, for about 2 minutes. (I make sure that water is boiling BEFORE placing vegetables in steamer to make sure you know exactly how long they have been cooking). You want the asparagus still crisp, NOT mushy!

Meanwhile, in a fry pan, heat a little butter and olive oil (equal parts) to coat (1/2 Tbs each in a medium pan) over medium /medium low heat. Cook to your liking (I like mine over easy, which takes no more than 2-3 minutes.)

Place asparagus on a plate. Slide egg on top, being careful not to break the yolk. Sprinkle a little more salt, some pepper and use a vegetable peeler to shave some parmesan on top. If you are using truffle oil, drizzle a little bit on top of the entire thing. A little goes a long way!

NOTE- To remove the tough ends from the asparagus stalk, simply bend the asparagus near the end. The asparagus will snap at the exact point to remove the part you don't want to eat!

6 comments:

  1. Hooray the blog is alive!! Keep writing- I need it :-} xo Erin
    PS tomorrow is the big chicken day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this site online. Very cool! I would rate it a 24. Love to hear about ice cream in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good stuff.. I will try this recipe this week and report my findings, but my guess is that it will be tremendous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice my dear daughter......your passion for food now has an outlet! As one of the regular tasters of Alethia's find food, I can validate her talents as a "chef" and her creativity with food. I know I'm her mother, but she is a "master" chef! Just let me know when you want me to try something new you have created, I'll be there! Love yah! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Alethia. Looking forward to your culinary insight!

    ReplyDelete